Grievance Report-Chicopee Education Association
April 13, 2016
Grievance 2 A- Level 2– Unit A member- specialized position (non-teaching) – scheduled to teach three daily classes in addition to performing the services of the specialized position. Management has agreed that Unit A members with specialized non-teaching positions should not have scheduled classes, but may teach lessons with a teacher. Resolved
Grievance 3 A- Level 2– Unit A member- specialized position (non-teaching) – scheduled to teach one daily class in addition to performing the services of the specialized position. Management has agreed that Unit A members with specialized non-teaching positions should not have scheduled classes, but may teach lessons with a teacher. This practice will end at the end of this school year. Resolved
Grievance 5A, 6A, & 7A- Class Action– 3 Unit A members were hired and are working in areas and/or grade levels for which they are not certified. HR has stated that all three members would be receiving letters in May stating that if they are not certified by the end of the school year, they will lose their positions. Resolved
Issues Dealt With This Month
- Two MOAs regarding the switching of prep and meeting time at the elementary level and preschool graduation -from a year ago- are still not completed.
- FVES- still trying to resolve busing issue- management has a solution that has yet to be implemented.
- Evaluations- “Plans” evaluators must have specific evidence -documented in TeachPoint- in order to put an educator on a plan. You can only move from one category to the next one- e.g. You can’t go from a two-year self-directed plan to an improvement plan. The plan goals should be directly tied to evidence from observations.
- Paraprofessionals – elementary level-being asked to plan, teach, and grade student work for reading intervention groups at the elementary level. This is a transference of work from Unit A to Unit E
- TeachPoint -teachers have the ability when in disagreement with an evaluator’s observations in TeachPoint,- to write an “Educator’s Response” See our CEA website for directions- http://chicopeeeducators.org/performance-evaluation/